Monday, February 11, 2008

Minor Rant and Fun night!

I am going to start by saying I had a great night tonight with the girls from book club! We read the book Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult. We had book club last week to talk about it and then I found the movie on TV one day and tivoed it so that everyone could come and have dinner and watch the movie. Well the movie was pretty awful. I think that we all really liked the book, and when you try to put a page turning mystery/suspense type book into a 2 hour movie with commercial you are asking for trouble. The characters were lacking in some physical ways. They are not what we had pictured in our minds. The lead, Ellie was well casted, but other than that it kind of went down hill. Anyway, we had a great time chatting hanging out until 10:40! Becky and I were roommates in college and I adore her anyway, so it is always nice to catch up. Haley, Wendy and Chrissy were a year ahead of us at Gettysburg, but we were all in the same sorority and knew one another. Now I am becoming pretty close with Haley, and it is nice to be able to get to know Chrissy and Wendy even better! I look forward to many fun nights of wine and chatting in the future (with or without the book!) Thanks for coming over girls! I had a blast!

Now for my rant! I am really put out by all the positive attention that Amy Winehouse has been getting. She is somewhat talented I guess, but I hate that people in the entertainment business are held at a different standard than most others. It is no surprise that she is a drug addict, everyone knows it.... and yet she is honored several times at the Grammy's this past weekend. I am not sure if it is because my father was a drug addict and I grew up knowing that it is not what the celebrities make it out to be... spa retreats to get well and such. It is a really ugly and crippling disease that people choose to get into to begin with. It is not like a terminal illness that would surprise someone, but it is something that these people choose to experiment with and then get hooked. I guess the other reason I am really put off by celebrities with problems being in the lime light all of the time is because I have two young and impressionable children who I do not want looking up to a celebrity who is abusing drugs. This includes athletes too! I am going to tell my kids about their grandfather one day and why he is not part of our lives, and I don't want them thinking that drugs are accepted in any way, shape or form! When is the entertainment industry going to see that we should not be rewarding people for things they may not be ready for or deserve. I was pleasantly surprised to come across this article tonight though:

"Natalie Cole: Amy's Wins Send a Bad Message"

It is basically saying that Natalie Cole does not believe that Amy deserves what she received yet. She said that she does have talent, but that this girl needs help. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and I know I have blogged about some similar things in the past. I just would really like my kids to be able to look at celebrities as people, and not idolize ones that have such horrible issues. I guess that is Ryan and my job to teach them the difference between right and wrong and show them there are people in this world to look up to.

1 comments:

thebrose said...

I emphatically agree. We recognize this and will constantly have to work with our kids to make them understand the difference between the entertainment world and the real world. Unfortunately, there are way too many parents who won't do the same for their kids.