Sunday, November 11, 2007

Relationships

Tonight I turned on the movie "Because I Said So" with Diane Keaton, Lauren Graham, Mandy Moore and several other of my favorite actors. It is a favorite of mine and I have seen it several times. I really enjoy the movie because of the humor and because it deals with the ultimate challenge in anyones life: relationships. We all have several relationship, whether it be with significant others, parents, friends, and especially our children. For those of you that do not have kids, bear with me for a little bit, and for those of you that do I am sure you are going to be able to relate to what I am going to rant about for a minute. I look at the relationships I have with each of my kids and it terrifies me. How am I going to get through the next 18+ years, how are my children going to be as adults, where are Ryan and I going to be each passing year, etc.... I don't want to hover over my children, but I want to guide them. I want them to be independent, but want to come home to us too. I know that Ryan and I are going to have a solid relationship even after our children are gone, and we are adults that choose to be with one another. When your children grow up they leave, which is a good and bad thing. I see how my husband does not have the attachment to his family that I feel for both of our families. He could go months without seeing his parents and weeks without talking to them and he would be okay. I talk to both sets on a daily basis because that was how I was raised. Will my children want to have a relationship with us when they leave the nest or is it going to be forced. Will my sweet little boy leave and never look back until his future spouse forces him to. Will my daughter want to talk with me about her problems or will she pretend I don't exist. I know we all have these questions, it is just so perplexing to me to think about my children as adults and will I be enough of a mom to them that they will be secure to be individuals, but sensitive enough to want to be part of the bigger family picture. I guess only time will tell!

1 comments:

HB said...

I watched that movie this weekend for the first time...I am loving Diane Keaton in some of her more recent movies! Although the mother character in that movie hovers over the Mandy Moore character, it seems as though she has a great relationship with her daughters...something I aspire to have with the girls as they grow :)